I got in a mommy funk. Hey, it happens!
My husband and I decided that I would take next year off from teaching to be home with the girls. We made this decision before A was born, so probably around Christmastime last year. It wasn’t until July though, after the school year had ended, that things really hit me. And it hit me all at once – the financial changes, personal changes, routine changes that would be a part of this big change to be a stay-at-home mom for a little while. It was weighing on me pretty heavy, and I was in a funk. I needed a change, and I needed it quick. My bad mood was affecting my ability to enjoy this time home that I had been waiting for forever.
So…I decided to start with my morning. I needed to start my day in a happier way. I was waking up cranky and lazy, which made my whole day a challenge. Here are three details that have made my mornings happier:
1. Warm Lemon Water – I did some research, and wow! The benefits of drinking warm lemon water are astounding! It helps digestion, boosts metabolism, strengthens the immune system, improves skin, and much more:
- Over at Ashley’s Green Life, check out an in-depth post about starting your day with lemon water.
- Over at Healthy Wild and Free, find out 20 things that can happen by drinking lemon water for a year.
And it’s so easy! I decided to replace my morning coffee with this, but you don’t have to. Just make sure this is the first thing you do every morning. It replenishes your body right from the start. I add a quarter of a lemon and about a tablespoon of organic honey to a mug of hot water. I let it cool a little bit, and then enjoy!
* Tiny Detail – if your lemon is too firm, microwave for 10 seconds to help release some more of the juices.
2. Exercise – I’ve been feeling frumpy post-baby #2, and I’ve been trying to find time to fit in working out throughout the day. Adding a workout in the morning really gives me a boost of energy and makes me feel good the rest of the day. Even if I only have time for a quick ten-minute workout, at least it’s better than nothing. And sometimes, if I only have time for the quick workout, I have the energy to workout again later in the day. Here are some of my current favorites:
I even love this one for lazy days:
Or this one if you want a screen-free workout:
3. Less Screen Time – I don’t know about you, but when I get up, sometimes all I want to do is lay back down and snuggle up with my iPhone for a while to check social media, catch a new episode on Hulu, etc. You know what I’m talking about?! But when you have little ones, or even if you don’t, it really becomes unproductive to sit around staring at a screen. And I will say – the first two details I mentioned above really help with this one. I have more energy after my lemon water and workout that I’m ready for the day. I’m not saying I don’t use my phone or computer at all in the morning, but I find when I limit myself and get the day started, it makes for a much better, much more productive, morning.
All these things combined are really helping me out of my funk! What details help make your mornings better? Comment below!